Thursday, October 19, 2006

Greek Mythology on Rollerskates

(This one's for Steph)

I often think of and silently thank my sister Stephanie for being one of the many people who have helped me appreciate the performing arts, like classical piano music, modern dance, ballet, symphony, experimental arts, musical theatre and film as well. One film and one experience to which I can thank her solely is what I like to call one of the finer things in life, Xanadu. Yes, you read it here my friends, Xanadu. I personally like to think of it more as an EXPERIENCE and not just another film. How did Xanadu come to be apart of my life? Thought you'd never ask.

As Stephanie has fondly helped me remember, the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack of Xanadu was her first tape cassette that she owned. We would listen to it for hours and hours, letting the smoothly synthesized sounds of Electric Light Orchestra and Olivia Newton-John seep in and energize our souls. Of course we would never sit and passively listen, no, we would clear the furniture upstairs, keep the curtains open and share our ELO love by dancing our hearts out for all Princeton Avenue to see.

Stephanie had the good fortune of having been old enough to see Xanadu at a friend's house growing up, and I would ask her to tell me what the movie was about. Being older now I can look back and appreciate how young she was and how much she may or may not have understood what was going on in the movie, but at the time she was my older sister and the moral authority for all things Xanadu. I envied Stephanie. I loved loved the music so, and just dreamed of what images could possibly go with such enlightened orchestrations, choruses and vocals. I would often ask her to recall the movie as when we'd listen to the soundtrack. I'll never forget her summarizing the movie one day to me as I listened intently to her vivid descriptions...

It's Greek Mythology on rollerskates...the movie starts with beautiful girls who lived trapped inside a wall and they really want to dance. One by one they come dancing out of the wall wearing really gorgeous dresses. Then they help make a rollerskating rink.
Truly the perfect story. No other tale could have impressed me more at the tender age of four.

A few years later, I was finally able to experience first hand the cinematic mastery of Xanadu, climbing to the upper echelon of Derek's Flix Favorites, and has stayed there ever since. I found this clip on a friend's MySpace page last night, and I just had to share it all with you, so that you too can take part in one of the finer things in life.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add the girls to the fan club. We watched the clip of the "beautiful dancing girls" again and again. Don't you love the way Olivia Newton-John takes forever to move her hands away from her face? Classic. Thanks for the memories D. "I'm Alive!"

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home