Sunday, October 01, 2006

Everything is beautiful at the Ballet...

Okay everyone, don't hold back, and sing it with me...
(gotta love Chorus Line)

After talking to my sister Leslie on the phone for quite a while yesterday, I reminded myself that not only did I make the move up to Seattle to go to a good program in my field, but also because I really wanted to experience what Seattle has to offer. So, after spending the majority of this last weekend in doors in front of the computer or a textbook, I awoke this morning feeling that I could justify going and doing something non-school related for the afternoon. I remembered that the Pacific Northwest Ballet was finishing their run of their season opener "Director's Choice", a program of three different ballets, all of which I had previously seen, but wanted to experience with a new company. So, I got a bit dressed up, took the bus down to the Seattle Center where the new Opera House is (of course I took a textbook with me on the bus and read), and enjoyed a WONDERFUL afternoon of living performing arts.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ballet. I do. I just love it so much. I love the classical tutus and tiaras and sparkles that makes little girls want to grow up to be fairy princesses and the such. I love the danced barefoot avant-garde choreography that offends and makes old women in the theatre wax nostalgic and ask, "Why can't they just do the traditional stuff that we want to see?" I love Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, Rosalinda, Anna Karenina, etc. as much as I love Ghost Dances, In-and-Out, Black Cake, Equinox, Polish Pieces, and today I especially loved In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated, with its score that sounds more like a hundred cars involved in the worst auto-collision possible.







Above are two images I found online, and a great clip of two members of the pas de trois in the final sequence of the ballet. Can I just say that YouTube really kicks ass? Pardon my French, but you can seriously find ANYTHING on YouTube these days. The video clip has really bad audio, so you can't get the full effect of the music (it's really overwhelming when you see it live, it's common to see people plugging their ears, I can' even imagine what the dancers are experiencing with the music blasting).

There are some things in life that I just really never want to be without...and a ticket to the next ballet is one of those things.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too, I love it! I miss going with you because we always gave eachother knowing glances or in some cases knowing bursts of laughter...hee,hee!

1:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah? Well *I* went to RDT the other day. Try not to feel too bad that you missed it. Really- stop smacking yourself in the face like that- I'm sure you'll get another chance to see them Derhek! Of course it won't be the same, but...

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home