Saturday, July 01, 2006

Shopping to clear the head

When things aren't going the way I'd like them to in life I usually react in a similar way--I shop. Junior year of high school I narrowly lost the election to John Lyman for Junior Class VP, and later that spring I again lost in the primaries for Student Body Secretary at East. Sure enough in both events I found great solace in putting down a considerable chunk of change in exchange for new items to help my wardrobe sparkle. When I was in college going through a rough time with my pledged greek fraternity, I retreated to the welcoming and familiar walls of Nordstrom, and then made my way over to the Gap and proceeded to purchase the same T-shirt (Ringer) in four colors...and for those of you who know me personally, I still wear them to this day.

Well, last night, upon feeling like a certain aspect of my life was slowly but surely slipping out of my grip, I decided to retaliate/regroup and shop for music. Call it a musical emergency. I purchased two CDs from the group Muse, whom my friend Allen had introduced me to about a year before. I would describe their music as a really wonderful mix of Rufus Wainwright, Radiohead, and even a little Bjork (vocals mostly). There's nothing I love more than when alternative rock blends in classical sounds, instruments, and even more traditionally classic themes and motifs. Muse offers me the perfect amount of angst without turning my mood too disdainful/revengeful or souring my countenance into something far too ugly--LOUD yet CIVILZIED. Something that a scorned lover? sometimes needs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home