Thursday, June 29, 2006

Single Thirties and Forties?

As my darling Jed likes to say, I feel like I am knocking on the door of thirty. I often think about other people I know who are in their thirties and forties, and they often describe how time flies at lightning speed because their lives are focused on their children, partners/spouses, homes. So, even though 30 is three years away for me, I can't help but be somewhat curious as to how my thirties will differ from those who are in more "conventional" living situations (married, home owners, parents, etc.) If I'm single at 30 and throughout my 30s, will time move as fast? will people look at me as being selfish? If I don't own property will I be seen as "wasting the American dream" on rent? Will people treat me like Bobby in Sondheim's musical, Company, or as the character Brian in the TV show, What About Brian? Will people look at my life, say things like, "Poor baby, all alone", or "Isn't he lucky to have all that free time?", or the killer, "When do you think he'll grow up finally?" and things of that nature. I'm not afraid of being exactly in the same living status in my thirties as I am now, nor am I opposed to settling down with someone. I guess I look at my future and think that it sounds just as busy and complicated as others, either way it turns out. But, when I hear the things people say about single thirty-somethings, I start to wonder how that decade will fare for me--especially in the eyes of others.

How, you may ask, did I get on this topic? I finished my shortened/intensive Aural Habilitation/Rehabilitation class today and I celebrated the taking of my final by heading down to the library and checked out a slew of Sondheim musicals. Sondheim has some interesting things to say about society, the make-up of the family, friendships, and our perceptions of others. Of course people have lauded his name and recognized his ability to realistically portray a lot of the feelings and notions that we have a hard time putting into words. Amazingly he does it well, and even matches those thoughts with some nice melodies. You could say I'm just hopping on the fan bandwagon.

Anyway...heading to Hessica's for some date night activity. Tonight is the movie Hard Candy at Brewvies. Good times, "free" film, and good nachos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home