Sunday, January 28, 2007

This is what happens when ABC airs re-runs...

I get mad, stomp my feet, call friend Jackie-ASU, and bitch and moan about working hard all day and not getting the reward of enjoying new episodes of my favorite shows. Waaa!

But instead of deciding to watch something else, I figured I haven't said much on the blog about school this quarter. So lucky for you (or not, depending on how you actually feel about my blogging) I'm going to get a bit more into the school aspect of D-rock. If that stuff bores you, then this entry is just not for you.

This quarter so far is going SOOOOO well. The classes I have this quarter are much more up the alley of what I want and see myself doing professionally. Not that last quarter was informative and significant, it was. Really, it's as if last quarter laid down the framework so that I could really ENJOY what I am learning now.

My two favorite classes are Neuroanatomy/Neurophysiology and Voice Disorders. I'm toying around the idea of asking my Voice Disorders professor if she'll be my mentor for a master's thesis. Even when the studying is really challenging, or there are concepts that are just not sinking in as fast as I'd like, I kind of sit back and laugh, "even though this is kicking my ass, I'm loving every minute of it". The professor for Neuroanatomy has had the career that I would DIE for. He got his master's, worked for a little while and then went back for his PhD, and instead of following the academic route at a University, he worked as a researcher in hospitals, until he got to the point where he wanted to come back to school and teach. Not that I'm not interested in research, but his was more hands on and in the actual field, whereas sometimes in a university you get wrapped up in the "Ivory Tower", and even in your research.

Anyway...it's been a great quarter, and whereas last quarter I was eagerly looking forward for it to end, this quarter is going way too fast, and I'd really wish it would slow down so I can take more of it in.

I've also been working with kids in various developmentally delayed preschool classrooms up in a town called Mukilteo. I spend about four hours every Monday working with little kiddos with Austism, Cerebral Palsy, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, and others, who need speech and language treatment. They are really adorable 3-5 year olds, most of them functioning at much lower levels than their typically developing peers. Some of them have great speech but inappropriate use (they are lacking knowledge of how to use language appropriately in social situations), whereas some of the others are completely non-verbal and we are just working on either some articulation (like making sounds), or working with picture cards/boards/computers that help them communicate their ideas and needs. I didn't think I would enjoy working with this population as much as I have so far.

Anyway...that's just a little wrap up of my school life. As you may or may not have noticed from my blog entry from last week, I went out for drinks with a guy last weekend which went HORRIBLY. We were SOOO wrong for each other. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home